|Scott Shanks' 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Convertible|
After receiving more than 340 entries on the company’s Facebook fan page, high-performance synthetic oil manufacturer Royal Purple announced the winner of its High Performance Experience contest. Scott Shanks and his 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Convertible was selected the winner to drive the 2012 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour® as a guest of Royal Purple.
As the winner of the Royal Purple High Performance Driving Experience Contest, Shanks will receive a Visa gift card to help defray expenses traveling on the tour, paid registration fees for the tour, VIP parking, a spot in the Royal Purple booth on tour and a variety of Royal Purple swag.
The winner of this year’s High Performance Experience was determined after entrants submitted a picture of their American muscle car or performance vehicle on the Royal Purple Inc. Facebook fan page between March 2 and March 16. The more than 340 entries were whittled down 10 finalists who received the most votes from polling open to Royal Purple’s 158,000 Facebook fans.
Finalists were asked to submit a detailed vehicle spec and modification list and 10 photos showcasing the vehicle’s exterior and interior. The panel of independent judges rated each of the finalists based on the vehicle, photos and how the vehicle embodied Royal Purple’s mantra of “Outperform.” The judges for the contest were: Mark Bowler (Bowler Transmissions), Mike Copeland (Lingenfelter Performance), Drew Hardin (former Hot Rod Magazine editor), Liz Miles (Holley Performance) and Dennis Overholser (Painless Performance).
The 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Convertible owned by Scott Shanks of Gardner, Kan. has an extensive list of modifications that include:
· 6.1 Hemi crate motor, making 420 HP at the wheels
· Tremec T56 Magnum six-speed transmission
· Custom Moser MO875 rear end with 4.10 gears bolted to an Eaton true track differential
· A set of Wilwood four-piston brake calipers and 12-inch rotors on all four corners
· Billet Specialties SLG23 18x8 (front) and 18x10 (rear) wheels with Nitto 555 tires
· Reilly Motorsports AlterKtion coil-over front suspension and Hotchkis leaf springs in the rear
· A restored to 1970 stock interior with Hurst pistol grip shifter
· A custom eight-speaker Pioneer stereo system integrated with the factory eight-track
· Viper Race Yellow exterior paint and a custom Hemi stripe
· Very rare 71 elastomeric bumpers with front and rear spoilers to round out the Pro-Touring look
The 2012 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour® stops in seven of cities over seven of days, beginning at the GM Proving Grounds in Detroit on June 2 and concluding with the a ‘Long Haulers Ceremony’ in Arlington, Texas, June 9, for those that completed the 1,200 mile trip.
Royal Purple is a Featured Sponsor of the 2012 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour®. Over course of the tour, special Royal Purple events include: Day 1 - Autocross in Muskegon, Mich., Day 2 - Drag Racing in Madison, Ill., Day 5 - Ugliest Luggage Contest in Miami, Okla. and Day 7 - Burn-Out Contest in Arlington, Texas. Royal Purple will also offer daily prizes at their booth and present and exclusive Royal Purple prize at the Long Haulers Award ceremony.